Are you looking for a way to jazz up your daily exercise routine? Tired of treading on that mill or riding that stationary bike exactly nowhere. Well check out these cardio alternatives that incorporate my favorite thing to do: dance!
- Zumba–its everywhere right? Well, the Zumba Toning DVD workout is excellent. You will feel like you have just had a great cardio session at the gym.
- Hip Hop Abs– with Shaun T is a also great one. Upbeat music, great core exercises, and everything is easily modified to fit your fitness level.
- Dancing With the Stars– is a great cardio workout: fast paced and high impact. The different genres of music and dance are fun, but this video is not for raw beginners. You need to have some stamina and strong lower body joints. If you have knee, ankle, or back pain for that matter, this is not where you want to start. You will need to build up to this one.
(Zumba and Hip Hop Abs have focused core workouts that do not require floor work…but Hip Hop Abs advanced does have some floor work.)
Those are my personal favorites out of the ones I’ve done. The rest don’t bear listing and probably aren’t even available on DVD. But there is buzz about some new ones that I want to try.
- Billy Blanks Jr. Groove and Burn–Everyone has tried Tae-Bo at least once, even if you didn’t know that’s what you were doing. It seeped into every work out, everywhere. Well Billy Blanks’ son has his own work out video out and I’m hearing about it from a lot of different people. Check it out.
- Hemalayaa’s The Bollywood Dance Workout–Who hasn’t seen at least one Bollywood dance scene (even if you didn’t sit through the whole movie). Well those girls didn’t get those figures by accident. Do those moves for an hour a day and see if you don’t want to bare your own mid-drift.
For those of you like me who like to pretend that you aren’t working out and are just having fun break out your Wii or your Xbox Kinect.
- Just Dance, Just Dance 2, JD3: Pop, Rock, Electronica, Motown–whatever your sound there will be something for you to get down to on these games. (the second is my personal fave)
- Country Dance: sound easy? Its not! You will SWEAT!
- Dance Workout: comes with a virtual personal trainer who schedules your work outs–nuff said!
- The Michael Jackson Experience: Dance with a simulated Michael and his crew and sweat while you belt out your favorite MJ tunes